C.Siva Ram Murthy
Richard Karp Institute Chair ProfessorDepartment of Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Madras, Chennai 600036, India
Tel: +91-44-22574361 Fax: +91-44-22574352
Email: murthyαiitmβacβin (where α = @ and β = .)
C.Siva Ram Murthy earned his B.Tech. degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Regional Engineering College (now National Institute of Technology), Warangal in 1982, M.Tech. degree in Computer Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur in 1984, and Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1988. Since September 1988, he has been with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Madras where he is currently the Institute Chair Professor. He has served as Head (Chairman) of the Department from 2010 to 2013 and held the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) Chair Professorship during 2012-14. He has also held short-term visiting appointments at several European and North American universities.
He is a co-author of the textbooks Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Architectures and Protocols (Prentice Hall, USA), Resource Management in Real-time Systems and Networks (MIT Press, USA), WDM Optical Networks: Concepts, Design, and Algorithms (Prentice Hall, USA), An Analytical Approach to Optical Burst Switched Networks (Springer, USA), Parallel Computers: Architecture and Programming (Prentice-Hall of India, India), and New Parallel Algorithms for Direct Solution of Linear Equations (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., USA). His research interests include wireless networks, lightwave networks, real-time systems, and parallel and distributed computing. He has published a number of research papers in peer-reviewed international journals and refereed international conference proceedings in these areas.
Prof.Murthy is a co-recipient of Best Paper Awards from the 5th IEEE International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Real-Time Systems (WPDRTS), 6th and also 11th IEEE Annual International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), and 14th and also 19th IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON). He has served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Computers and as a Subject Area Editor for the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC). He is currently an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, and Editor of Computer Networks (COMNET) and INAE Letters.
He is a recipient of Best Ph.D. Thesis Award from the Indian Institute of Science, INSA Medal for Young Scientists, Dr.Vikram Sarabhai Research Award, IBM (USA) Real-Time Innovation Award, Erasmus Mundus Academic Staff Scholarship, and Fellowship. He is an elected Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, USA), The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries (TWAS, Italy), Indian National Science Academy (INSA), and Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE).
Selected Recent Publications
- Rahul Thakur, Sudeepta Mishra, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "An Energy and Cost Aware Framework for Cell Selection and Energy Cooperation in Rural and Remote Femtocell Networks", to appear in IEEE Trans. on Green Communications and Networking.
- Siba Narayan Swain, Rahul Thakur, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Coverage and Rate Analysis for Facilitating Machine-to-Machine Communication in LTE-A Networks using Device-to-Device Communication", to appear in IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing.
- Hem Kapil and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "A Pragmatic Relay Placement Approach in 3-D Space and Q-Learning-Based Transmission Scheme for Reliable Factory Automation Applications", to appear in IEEE Systems Journal.
- N. Revathy and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "A probabilistic framework for protocol conversions in IIoT networks with heterogeneous gateways", to appear in IEEE Communications Letters.
- Moumita Patra, Rahul Thakur, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Improving Delay and Energy Efficiency of Vehicular Networks using Mobile Femto Access Points", IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 66, no. 2. pp. 1496-1505. 2017.
- Manikantan Srinivasan, Vijeth J Kotagi, and Siva Ram Murthy, "A Q-Learning Framework for User QoE Enhanced Self Organizing Spectrally Efficient Network using a Novel Inter-Operator Proximal Spectrum Sharing", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2887-2901, 2016.