C.Siva Ram Murthy
FNAE, FNASc, FNA, FTWAS, FIEEE
Richard Karp Institute Chair ProfessorDepartment of Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Madras, Chennai 600036, India
Tel: +91-44-22574361 Fax: +91-44-22574352
Email: murthyαiitmβacβin (where α = @ and β = .)
C.Siva Ram Murthy earned his B.Tech. degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Regional Engineering College (now National Institute of Technology), Warangal in 1982, M.Tech. degree in Computer Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur in 1984, and Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1988. Since September 1988, he has been with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Madras where he is currently the Professor Richard Karp Institute Chair Professor (2016-2025). He has served as Head (Chairman) of the Department from 2010 to 2013 and held the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) Chair Professorship (2012-2014). He has also held short-term visiting appointments at several European and North American universities.
He is a co-author of the textbooks Resource Management in Real-time Systems and Networks (MIT Press, USA), Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Architectures and Protocols (Prentice Hall, USA), WDM Optical Networks: Concepts, Design, and Algorithms (Prentice Hall, USA), An Analytical Approach to Optical Burst Switched Networks (Springer, USA), Parallel Computers: Architecture and Programming (Prentice-Hall of India), and New Parallel Algorithms for Direct Solution of Linear Equations (John Wiley & Sons, USA). His research interests include wireless networks, lightwave networks, real-time systems, and parallel and distributed computing. He has published a number of research papers in peer-reviewed international journals and refereed international conference proceedings in these areas.
Prof.Murthy is a co-recipient of Best Paper Awards from the 5th IEEE International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Real-Time Systems (WPDRTS), 6th and also 11th IEEE Annual International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), and 14th and also 19th IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON). He has served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Computers and IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, and as a Subject Area Editor for the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC) and INAE Letters (now Transactions of the Indian National Academy of Engineering). He is currently an Area Editor of Computer Networks (COMNET) Journal.
He is a recipient of Best Ph.D. Thesis Award from the Indian Institute of Science, INSA Medal for Young Scientists, Dr.Vikram Sarabhai Research Award, Sir JC Bose (The Real Inventor of Marconi's Wireless Receiver) Fellowship (2016-2026), Erasmus Mundus Academic Staff Scholarship, and IBM (USA) Real-Time Innovation Award. He is an elected Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), National Academy of Sciences (NASI), Indian National Science Academy (INSA), The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries (TWAS, Italy), and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, USA).
Select Recent Publications:
- Vipin N Sathi, Manikantan Srinivasan, Kaliyammal Thiruvasagam Prabhu, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Novel Protocols to Mitigate Network Slice Topology Learning Attacks and Protect Privacy of Users' Service Access Behavior in Softwarized 5G Networks", to appear in IEEE Trans. on Dependable and Secure Computing.
- Kaliyammal Thiruvasagam Prabhu, Vijeth J Kotagi, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "A Reliability-Aware, Delay Guaranteed, and Resource Efficient Placement of Service Function Chains in Softwarized 5G Networks", to appear in IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing.
- Revathy Narayanan, Swarun Kumar, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Cross Technology Distributed MIMO for Low Power IoT", to appear in IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing.
- Revathy Narayanan and C Siva Ram Murthy, "A Routing Framework with Protocol Conversions Across Multi-radio IoT Platforms", IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 4417-4432, 2021.
- Kaliyammal Thiruvasagam Prabhu, Abhishek Chakraborty, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Resilient and Latency-aware Orchestration of Network Slices Using Multi-connectivity in MEC-enabled 5G Networks", IEEE Trans. on Network and Service Management, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 2502-2514, 2021.
- Vijeth J Kotagi, Kaliyammal Thiruvasagam Prabhu, and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Learn to Breathe: An Energy Efficient Inter-Operator Proximal Spectrum Sharing", IEEE Trans. on Green Communications and Networking, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 631-646, 2020.
- Manikantan Srinivasan and C. Siva Ram Murthy, "Efficient Spectrum Slicing in 5G Networks: An Overlapping Coalition Formation Approach", IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1299-1316, 2020.