Principles of Software Engineering
Software Engineering for Multicore Systems
Goal of the course: At the end
of the course, students will have a fair understanding of some standard issues in software engineering pertinent to multicore systems. The project students will have hands on experience in implementing a real compiler technique for a multicore systems.
If the course encourages even a few of the students to pursue further studies in any of the
covered or related topics then the course definitely would have met its goals.
Slides for the Lectures:
- Timing : Mon 11AM-11.50AM, Tueday 10AM-10.50AM, Thursday: 12PM-12.50PM
- Class room : CS26, IIT Madras, CSE department.
- Teacher : V. Krishna Nandivada
- Office hours / Doubt sessions : Anytime.
- TAs : Tapajit Rajak and Jagadish Chalasani.
- Tutorial session: Wednesday: 9AM-10AM.
- Office hours: Tapajit: Fri 9AM-10AM or appointment by email, Jagadish: appointment by email.
- Course outline.
- List of references:
- Book 1: Patterns for Parallel Programming: Timothy Mattson, Beverly A. Sanders, Berna L. Massingill
- Book 2: To be updated.
- Paper 1: Chunking Parallel Loops in the Presence of Synchronization: Shirako, Zhao, Nandivada, Sarkar.
- Paper 2: Reducing Task Creation and Termination Overhead in Explicitly Parallel Programs: Zhao Shirako Nandivada Sarkar
- Paper 3: To be updated.
- Feb 2, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14 2012. Introduction
- Feb 15, 20, 21, 22, 27, Mar 05 2012. Patterns in Programming languages (Part 1/3)
- Mar 5, 6, 7, 8 2012. Patterns in Programming languages (Part 2/3)
- Mar 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... month end 2012. Patterns in Programming languages (Part 3/3) and Memory models
- Code parallelization. Deadline Mar 7 2012 midnight. Mail the source code tar file Jagadish Chalasani.
- Cost model. Write a review for the following paper: Automatic partitioning of a program dependence graph into parallel tasks
Author: V. Sarkar
Published in IBM Journal of Research and Development archive Volume 35 Issue 5-6, Sept./Nov. 1991.
Deadline Mar 28 2012 noon.
- Mid-term Exam. Mar 17th 9.30AM, CS26. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor.