As per the B.Tech ordinances (and similarly for other course based programs) at IIT Madras, Section R.4.2 the following are the responsibilities of the Class Committee :
- To review periodically the progress of the classes.
- To discuss problems concerning curriculum and syllabi and the conduct of the classes.
- The method of assessment in the course will be decided by the teacher in consultation with the class committee and will be announced to the students at the beginning of the semester. Each class committee will communicate its recommendations to the Head of the Department and the Dean of Academic Courses.
- The Class Committee without student members is responsible for the finalisation of the semester results.
- The class committees shall meet at least thrice in a semester, once at the beginning of the semester, once after the II quiz and once at the end of the semester to finalise the grades.
The constitution of the Class Committee at the CSE department courses is as follows :
- Chairman : One professor of the department. (nominated by the Head of the Department).
- All faculty members are members of the class committee.
- Nine student members (nominated by the Head of the Department) :
- One student each year of B.Tech/DD from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year UG.
- One student each from B.Tech(DD) 5th year, M.Tech 1st year, and M.Tech 2nd year
- One scholar each from MS and PhD.