Some quotes I like.
- "New ideas are not easy to find. If you are lucky enough to be
working on an idea which is actually right, it can take a long time
before you know that it's right. Conversely, if you are going up a blind
alley, it can also take a long time before you find out. You can end up
saying 'Oops, I've been working for years on something wrong.' A good
mathematician must have the courage to take a lot of work and throw it
away." - Charles L. Fefferman
- "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that
created them." - Albert Einstein
- "If you can't answer a question about a structure, then there is
always a simpler question about the same structure which you can't answer.
Find it !"- George Polya
- "... pleasure has probably been the main goal all
along. But I hesitate to admit it, because computer scientists want to
maintain their image as hard-working individuals who deserve high
salaries. Sooner or later society will realise that certain kinds of
hard work are in fact admirable even though they are more fun than
just about anything else." - Donald E. Knuth
A relevant article is here
- "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"- Albert Einstein
- "The important thing to me is not the destination, but the journey.
The real purpose of playing golf is not really to put the ball in the
hole."- Donald E. Knuth
- The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case which
contains all the gems of generality - David Hilbert
- I value joy, truth, beauty and justice more than just "success".
- When a philosopher says something that is true then it is trivial. When he
says something that is not trivial then it is false
- Carl Friedrich Gauss
- All of the scientists I've known have at least one quality in common:
they do what they do because they love it, and because they cannot imagine
doing anything else. In a sense, this is the real reason a scientist does
science. Because the scientist must. Such a compulsion is both blessing and
burden. A blessing because the creative life, in any endeavor, is a gift
filled with beauty and not given to everyone, a burden because the call is
unrelenting and can drown out the rest of life. -
- A mathematical theory is not to be considered complete until you have made it so clear that
you can explain it to the first man whom you meet on the street. -
Hilbert quoting an old french mathematician.
- My mother said, "Even you, Paul, can be in only one place at one
time." Maybe soon I will be relieved of this disadvantage. Maybe, once I've
left, I'll be able to be in many places at the same time. Maybe then I'll
be able to collaborate with Archimedes and Euclid. - Paul
- I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein
- Geometry is the science of correct reasoning with incorrect figures
- George Polya
- Science without religion is lame, religion without science is
blind - Albert Einstein - who quoted himself as a non-believer who is deeply religious - if there is anything in me that can be called "religious" then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world as far as science can reveal it.
Last update: Tue Apr 20 08:50:58 IST 2018.