CS 6013 - Modern Compilers - Theory and Practice
Goal of the course:
At the end of the course, students will have a fair understanding of some standard passes in a general purpose compiler. Students will have hands on experience on implementing a few program analyses and optimization techniques.
Slides for the Lectures:
- Time and Place: Mon (08.00:08.50), Tue (12.00-12.50), Thu (11.00-11.50), Fri (10.00-10.50); A slot. Class room: online.
- Teacher : V. Krishna Nandivada
- Office hours / Doubt sessions : Anytime.
- TA : Shashin Halalingaiah (cs20s003@smail)
- Office hours / Doubt sessions : Fix a time by sending an email.
- Course outline.
- Software, documentation and tools link is here.
- Submission guidelines.
- Discussion website is here (access restricted).
- Book 1: Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation: Steven Muchnick, 1998.
- Book 2: Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools: A V Aho, Monical Lam, R Sethi, J D Ullman, 2005.
- Book 3: Principles of Program Analysis: Flemming Nielson, Hanne Riis Nielson, Chris Hankin, Springer, 2006.
- Book 4: Modern compiler implementation in Java, Second Edition, Andrew W. Appel, Jens Palsberg, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Book 5: The Java programming language, Arnold, Gosling and Holmes, Addison-Wesley, 2005. Also see the online manuals in the documentation section.
- Paper 0: The Fortran Automatic Coding system, Backus et al, 1957.
- Paper 1: A unified approach to program optimization: Gary A Kildall, 1973.
- Paper 2: Constant Propagation with conditional branches: Wegman and Zadeck.
- Paper 3: Interprocedural constant propagation: Callahan, Cooper, Kennedy and Torczon.
- Paper 4: Linear Scan Register Allocation: Poletto and Sarkar.
- Paper 5: Improved Bitwidth-aware Variable Packing: Nandivada and Barik, TACO 2013.
- Paper 6: Improved MHP Analysis: A Shankar, S S Chakraborty, and V K Nandivada, CC 2016.
- Paper 7: A loop transformation theory and an algorithm to maximize parallelism, Wolf and Lam, IEEE TPDS 1991.
- Paper 8: Uniprocessor Garbage Collection Techniques, Paul R Wilson, 1992.
||03 Aug 2021
||10 Aug 2021, 11:59PM
||17 Aug 2021
||20 Aug 2021
||31 Aug 2021, 11:59PM
|| Conditional Constant Propagation
||02 Sep 2021
||07 Sep 2021
||25 Sep 2021, 11:59PM
||25 Sep 2021
||30 Sep 2021,
||18 Oct 2021, 11:59PM
|P5 |MHP Analysis
||19 Oct 2021
||22 Oct 2021
||12 Nov 2021, 11:59PM
Paper reading / presentation / critic: 10 marks.
To be updated.
- Quiz 1 exam (10%) on Sep 06 2021 (Mon), 08.00am. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor.
- Quiz 2 exam (10%) on Oct 11th 2021 (Mon), 08.00am. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor.
- Final exam 30% on Nov 15th 2021 (Mon), 08.00am. Open book, Open notes, closed neighbor.
Thu Jul 29 09:48:11 IST 2021