CS 6013 - Modern Compilers - Theory and Practice
Goal of the course:
At the end of the course, students will have a fair understanding of some standard passes in a general purpose compiler. Students will have hands on experience on implementing a few program analyses and optimization techniques.
Slides for the Lectures:
- Time and Place: Mon (16.50-17.40), Wed (14.00-15.15), Thu (15.25-16.40); J slot. Class room CS26.
- Teacher : V. Krishna Nandivada
- Office hours / Doubt sessions : Anytime.
- TA : Akash Mishra (CS19M008@smail)
- Office hours / Doubt sessions : Fix a time by sending an email.
- Course outline.
- Software, documentation and tools link is here.
- Submission guidelines.
- Discussion website is here (access restricted).
- Book 1: Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation: Steven Muchnick.
- Book 2: Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools: A V Aho, Monical Lam, R Sethi, J D Ullman.
- Book 3: Principles of Program Analysis: Flemming Nielson, Hanne Riis Nielson, Chris Hankin, Springer, 2005.
- Book 4: Modern compiler implementation in Java, Second Edition, Andrew W. Appel, Jens Palsberg, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Book 5: The Java programming language, Arnold, Gosling and Holmes, Addison-Wesley, 2005. Also see the online manuals in the documentation section.
- Paper 0: The Fortran Automatic Coding system, Backus et al, 1957.
- Paper 1: A unified approach to program optimization: Gary A Kildall, 1973.
- Paper 2: Constant Propagation with conditional branches: Wegman and Zadeck.
- Paper 3: Interprocedural constant propagation: Callahan, Cooper, Kennedy and Torczon.
- Paper 4: Linear Scan Register Allocation: Poletto and Sarkar.
- Paper 5: Improved Bitwidth-aware Variable Packing: Nandivada and Barik, TACO 2013.
- Paper 6: Improved MHP Analysis: A Shankar, S S Chakraborty, and V K Nandivada, CC 2016.
- Paper 7: A loop transformation theory and an algorithm to maximize parallelism, Wolf and Lam, IEEE TPDS 1991.
- Paper 8: Uniprocessor Garbage Collection Techniques, Paul R Wilson, 1992.
||16 Jan 2020
||23 Jan 2020, 11:59PM
||31 Jan 2020
||05 Feb 2020
||13 Feb 2020, 11:59PM
|| Conditional Constant Propagation
||14 Feb 2020
||17 Feb 2020
||05 Mar 2020, 11:59PM
||06 Mar 2020
||09 Mar 2020,
||30 Mar 2020, 11:59PM
||31 Mar 2020
||06 Mar 2020
||23 Apr 2020, 11:59PM
Paper reading / presentation / critic: 10 marks.
Paper details to be uploaded by Mar 31st.
- Quiz 1 exam (10%) on Feb 19th 2020 (Wed), 02.00pm. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor. sample solution.
- Quiz 2 exam (10%) on Mar 18th 2020 (Wed), 02.00pm. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor. sample solution.
- Final exam (30%) on May 03th 2020 (Sat), 09.00am. Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor. sample solution.
Fri Jan 17 10:53:10 IST 2020